General Idea about fiber optic patch cord
To start Fiber Optic Patch Cord Wiki, Fiber Optic Patch Cords are connector plugs on both ends of the optical cable.The center is the glass core that is transmitted by light. The core is surrounded by a glass envelope with a low refractive index core to keep the optical fiber in the core. Outside is a thin layer of plastic jacket to protect cover.
It can be summarized as follows: Fiber optic connector + Optical cable + Fiber optic connector
Fiber Optic Patch Cord as called fiber optic patch cable, fiber optic jumper, fiber optic jumper cable, fiber optic jumper cord
The classification of optical fiber patch cord can be based on the fiber connector, transmission medium, core number,usage environment and so on.
Fiber optic patch cord Wiki Transmission medium type:
- Single mode optical fiber jumper: the general leather is yellow, the diameter of the core is 8~10μm, the connector and protective sleeve are blue, and the transmission distance is longer.
- Multi mode optical fiber jumpers: generally orange, some are light blue (OM3), grey in connector, and short in transmission distance.
Fiber Optic Patch Cord Connector Type:
According to the structure of the connector,it can be divided into :
FC fiber optic jumper, SC fiber optic jumper, ST fiber optic jumper, LC fiber optic jumper, MTRJ fiber optic jumper, MPO fiber optic jumper, MU fiber optic patch cable, SMA fiber optic patch cable, FDDI fiber optic patch cable, E2000 fiber optic patch cable, DIN4 fiber optic patch cable, D4 fiber optic patch cable and so on.
The combination of the connection heads can be the same(A-A) or the different(A-B), that is hybrid type. More common fiber jumpers are SC-SC, FC-FC, LC-LC, FC-ST, SC-LC, SC-ST and so on.
Fiber Optic Patch Cord wiki in Polishing type:
It is divided into APC, UPC and PC
The PC ferrule surface is flat, which is widely used in telecom operators.The return loss ≥45 dB
The UPC inserting end face is flat, and its joint cross section is flat,which return loss ≥50 dB
In radio and TV and early CATV, the APC model is applied. The APC inserting end is oblique, the angle range is 30 degrees, and the top has oblique 8°±1°. The return loss of APC≥65 dB
PC, UPC schematic diagram (unit mm):
APC schematic diagram (unit mm):
Fiber Optic Patch Cord Use environment type:
- Armored fiber optic jumper: A new optical fiber jumper has the advantage of no need to use protective sleeve, save space, make construction more convenient and ensure safety.
- Waterproof fiber optic jumper:Generally used for outdoor laying, it has a strong PU jacket and armour structure. It can resist high temperature and is suitable for use in harsh environments.
Attention when use a fiber optic patch cord
The wavelength of the optical modules at both ends of the fiber optic jumper must be identical. In general, the short wave optical module uses multimode fiber (orange fiber), and the long wave module uses a single mode fiber (yellow fiber) to ensure the accuracy of data transmission.
- Before use, the optical fiber jumper ceramic ferrule and the core end surface must be cleaned with alcohol and absorbent cotton.
- Minimum bending radius of optical fiber is less than 30mm while usage
- Protect ceramic ferrule and core face, prevent bumping and pollution, and close dust cap after disassembly.
Fiber Optic Patch Cord Application
Fiber optic jumper is widely used in : communication machine room, fiber to home(ftth), local area network, fiber optic sensor, optical fiber communication system, optical fiber connection transmission equipment, defense combat readiness, cable TV network, telecommunication network, computer optical fiber network and optical testing equipment.